Meet Helena Kearns
Follow Helena Here:
How did you start creating?
I have always created mainly due to necessity I did a diploma in art and design in college during covid me and my kids used it as therapy
Favorite thing you have ever created?
I love creating bespoke items for friends my favourite being a gin bar for my friend Donna from a wooden underbed storage box
Favorite Paint and Color to work with?
I love all paint I believe they all have a place in our industry I love chalk and milk for their creativity and I love Mineral for the sleek finish. I adore bright colours my favourite combinations include green and purples I love yellows reds and oranges with black
Something most do not know about you
I love heavy metal music and was in a metal band when I was younger I attend festivals and watching bands is my happy place
Flashback to when you were 10 years old. What do you want to be when you grow up?
I wanted to be an actor I was in many an amateur dramatic performance
If you could choose anywhere in the world to live, where would it be and why?
I like the idea of living in Nicaragua or Cuba I have never been but it looks stunning
Finish this sentence. On Sunday mornings, you can usually find me...
In bed .. Sunday morning most definitely my only hope of a lie in and rest
How do you want people to remember you?
My Favorite Recipe
500g potatoes (any potato even left overs)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
50g butter (if you use salted butter just add a pinch of salt not 1 tea spoon)
300g plain white flour
15g bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
1. Boil and mash the potatoes with butter
2. Sieve in 1/2 the flour with bicarbonate of soda When it starts to form balls add the buttermilk and rest of flour salt and pepper
3. Mix until a dough then turn it out of the bowl and knead it a few times whilst making it into a circle
4. Roll it out about 1/2 cm thick Cut into 1/4 and dry fry on a heavy bottom fry pan or a griddle if you have one A few minutes each side to colour is all it needs
5. Set aside in the fridge and when you want to eat them fry them in a little oil or butter a few minutes each side
Cheese and onion or chopped bacon or herbs can be added to this recipe but I like it plain and fried in oil served with soft poached eggs, sausages & mushrooms & baked beans bacon and black pudding
If you do not have buttermilk just add a little more butter so the dough doesn't be too dry and crumbling